Director - Ambulatory Practice Management - Clinic-Administration (1.0 FTE, Days)
1.0 FTE, 8-Hour Day Shifts
At Stanford Children’s Health, we know world-renowned care begins with world-class caring. That's why we combine advanced technologies and breakthrough discoveries with family-centered care. It's why we provide our caregivers with continuing education and state-of-the-art facilities, like the newly remodeled Lucile Packard Children's Hospital Stanford. And it's why we need caring, committed people on our team - like you. Join us on our mission to heal humanity, one child and family at a time
This paragraph summarizes the general nature, level and purpose of the job.
The Director of Ambulatory Physician Practice Management provides overall operational leadership and is responsible for the direction and performance of all outpatient physician practices. The Director will assist the VP of Ambulatory Care in the development of long and short-term group practice operating plans which may include operational improvement analyses, budget development, and break-even analysis. The Director will work across all ambulatory locations, including Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital on Stanford’s campus, California Pacific Medic al Center in San Francisco, and John Muir Hospital in Walnut Creek. The Director is responsible for leadership, strategic planning and delivery, evaluation, and management of all ambulatory physician practice operations. Directs operations by providing oversight and guidance to physician practice managers/staff and responsible for development and implementation of standardized operations across all practices. Provides oversight and monitors charge capture across physical practices. Responsible for directly managing physician practices as needed.
The essential functions listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification. They are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Employees must abide by all Joint Commission Requirements including but not limited to sensitivity to cultural diversity, patient care, patient rights and ethical treatment, safety and security of physical environments, emergency management, teamwork, respect for others, participation in ongoing education and training, communication and adherence to safety and quality programs, sustaining compliance with National Patient Safety Goals, and licensure and health screenings.
Must perform all duties and responsibilities in accordance with the Service Standards of the Hospital(s).
* Provides leadership through oversight and setting strategic direction for all Physician Practice areas across Ambulatory. Responsible for effective and efficient operations within the practices including, but not limited to, patient/family satisfaction with the care experience across the specialties, space planning for future needs/ growth, training/education, quality/safety oversight, accreditation/regulatory affairs, marketing, continuous improvement, financial performance, template creation alignment, and oversight of consistent use of guided questionnaires by practice.
* Develops standardized approaches and consistency across various ambulatory practices. Collaborates with Chief of Staff, Service leaders to ensure that practices are optimized and ensures ambulatory metrics and goals are met with respect to outpatient volume, budget, and patient experiences. Monitors overall charge capture and recommends appropriate action to improve capture.
* In partnership with the Clinical Chiefs of Service, develops standard protocol and work for practice managers and provides leadership in integrating the practice managers fully into the practice as a dyad partner to the Chief. Coordinates clinical issues with Medical Director/Service Chief.
* Works with Physician Practice leadership dyads, the FPO (Faculty Practice Organization) and Marketing team on business development for Physician Practices(s), including but not limited to outreach efforts/networking with community providers, public relations, marketing strategy development, website enhancements and advertising.
* Monitors, interprets, and analyzes all ambulatory practice performance for practice efficiency and in realizing established plans and objectives. Identifies and reports undesirable trends and potential business opportunities and makes recommendations for action.
* Provides leadership, guidance, and mentors practice managers to develop and refine business plans and cases. Identifies education/training for leadership development.
* Monitors practice activities to ensure compliance with all applicable governmental regulations and practice standards
* Collaborates with Vice President and participates in key decisions pertaining to strategic initiatives, operating model and operational execution. Assists in developing and directing the implementation of strategic business and/or operational plans, projects, programs, and systems.
* Responsible for analyzing and exploring means of reducing practice operating costs, and increasing revenues based on knowledge of market trends, financial reports, and strategic initiatives.
* Reviews patient satisfaction indicators and develops and implements programs across practices to elevate patient satisfaction.
* Provides leadership in process improvement, change management, strategic planning, and business development, provider partnership, and quality management.
* Develops and defines standard metrics, dashboards and reports to assess health of the practice and for the review with the Vice President of Ambulatory Care.
* Directs the development, implementation, and monitoring of policies and procedures which support the organization's goals and business objectives
* Chairs appropriate ambulatory committees and task forces as assigned.
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities as well as possession of any required licenses or certifications is qualifying.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in a work-related discipline (healthcare, business preferred) /field from an accredited college or university.
Experience: Seven (7) years of progressively responsible and directly related work experience including three (3) years of management/ leadership experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
These are the observable and measurable attributes and skills required to perform successfully the essential functions of the job and are generally demonstrated through qualifying experience, education, or licensure/certification.
* Knowledge of principles and practices of organization, administration, fiscal and personnel management.
* Knowledge of local, state and federal regulatory requirement related to the functional area.
* Knowledge of computer systems and software used in functional area
* Knowledge and/or experience with office practice finances and reporting.
* Knowledge and experience with informatics and data analytics with strong computer skills.
* Ability to develop long-range business plans and strategies.
* Ability to establish and maintain excellent client relationship, exhibit exemplary interpersonal skills and exercise sound judgment and professionalism in business and personnel matters.
* Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
* Strong influencing skills and perseverance to handle physician and employee relations issues and to facilitate discussions with follow-up and resolution.
* Ability to exercise a high degree of initiative, judgment, discretion, and decision-making.
* Ability to analyze situations accurately and take effective actions.
* Strong communication and interpersonal skills including the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others
* Strong decision making and problem solving skills, as well as being detail and customer service oriented.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
The Physical Requirements and Working Conditions in which the job is typically performed are available from the Occupational Health Department. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Equal Opportunity Employer