NX Sr Decision Support Specialist - (0.001 FTE, Rotating)
Finance & Accounting
0.001 FTE, 8 Hour Rotating Shift
At Stanford Children’s Health, we know world-renowned care begins with world-class caring. That's why we combine advanced technologies and breakthrough discoveries with family-centered care. It's why we provide our caregivers with continuing education and state-of-the-art facilities, like the newly remodeled Lucile Packard Children's Hospital Stanford. And it's why we need caring, committed people on our team - like you. Join us on our mission to heal humanity, one child and family at a time
This paragraph summarizes the general nature, level and purpose of the job.
Coordinates the annual cost standard review, annual operating budget modeling and budget analysis; reviews cost standard with operation managers for accurate actual cost allocation, flex budget modeling and actual cost evaluation. Performs one or more specialized or complex cost modeling and budget modeling and related flex budget analysis in support of department, service line or hospital wide cost analysis. Work is performed under intermittent supervision.
The essential functions listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification. They are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Employees must abide by all Joint Commission Requirements including but not limited to sensitivity to cultural diversity, patient care, patient rights and ethical treatment, safety and security of physical environments, emergency management, teamwork, respect for others, participation in ongoing education and training, communication and adherence to safety and quality programs, sustaining compliance with National Patient Safety Goals, and licensure and health screenings.
Must perform all duties and responsibilities in accordance with the hospital’s policies and procedures, including its Service Standards and its Code of Conduct.
• Develop plan and calendar for the annual cost standard review including year-to-date productivity and flex budget analyses for all operating department groups. Review budgeted labor FTE and identify functions for minimum staffing requirement and RVU review.
• Perform monthly cost analysis and patient level cost reconciliation. Identify area(s) causing cost discrepancy and recommend remedy to provide a reasonable cost allocation at patient level.
• Coordinate with Financial Planning team to develop budgetary needs and incorporate all budget assumptions in the new fiscal year base-line budget modeling. Perform all the budget spread based on historical volume trend in all expense categories. Coordinate budget load from source to the DSS system, to PeopleSoft and Enterprise Data Warehouse.
• Maintains liaison with other departments in the preparation and analysis of service line patient level costing, departmental flex budget variance analysis and to provide management with valuable cost data for relevant financial decisions.
• Prepares and coordinates distribution of various financial reports and analyses for management and external agencies to include financial analysis of individual department operations.
• Manage the budget preparation and budget load process with Financial Planning and the Accounting team to ensure critical deadline are met which include development of baseline budget, annual budget spread modeling, budget loading to PeopleSoft and the EDW. Ensure budget data flow from TSI to PeopleSoft and to EDW are reconciled. Research, identify and correct potential chart of account errors in systems so the budget load will be accurate.
• Manage ad hoc data request from users within the organization or external vendors.
• Champion the organizational wide benchmarking initiative or departmentalized benchmarking / cost reduction or process improvement projects. Using the operational benchmarking tool (PACT / PHIS / UHC) data to assist the process and identify opportunities for enhancement.
• Perform net revenue analysis comparison with actual payment to identify opportunity for under-pay accounts / for enhancing net revenue modeling criteria and modeling logic.
• Collaborates with Patient Financial Service Analyst and Managed Care Analyst to evaluate individual contract for net revenue modeling. Perform contract modeling testing and off-line net revenue simulation to ensure the net revenue modeling is close to the expected net revenue being reimbursed by the payers. Modify terms in the net revenue module to reflect the terms of the contract.
• Maintains liaison with Financial Planning team and Service Line Analyst in understand the payer mix, net revenue trend analyses, and strategize payer mix and market mix management
• Manage the external data submission process and to collaborate with the DSS Analyst to ensure timely and accurate data submission.
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities as well as possession of any required licenses or certifications is qualifying.
• Education: Bachelor's degree in a work-related field/discipline from an accredited college or university
• Experience: Six (6) years of progressively responsible and directly related work experience
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
These are the observable and measurable attributes and skills required to perform successfully the essential functions of the job and are generally demonstrated through qualifying experience, education, or licensure/certification.
• Ability to analyze and trouble shoot data problem and be able to develop solutions to complex data problem.
• Ability to analyze information, reach valid conclusions and make sound recommendation.
• Ability to communicate complex concepts in simple form to non-finance users to understand the appropriate use of the DSS data.
• Ability to communicate effectively in written or verbal format to IS programmers and other users about the system issues.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department and operation department personnel.
• Ability to work effectively both as a team player and leader.
• Knowledge of computer systems and software used in functional area.
• Knowledge of principles and concepts of cost accounting, payer reimbursement, budgeting and hospital operation.
• Knowledge of state regulatory requirement in data elements for OSHPD reporting
Equal Opportunity Employer