Nurse Educator - Nursery and Intermediate Care Nursery: Center for Professional Excellence & Inquiry (1.0 FTE, Days)
1.0 FTE, 8 Hour Day Shifts
At Stanford Children’s Health, we know world-renowned care begins with world-class caring. That's why we combine advanced technologies and breakthrough discoveries with family-centered care. It's why we provide our caregivers with continuing education and state-of-the-art facilities, like the newly remodeled Lucile Packard Children's Hospital Stanford. And it's why we need caring, committed people on our team - like you. Join us on our mission to heal humanity, one child and family at a time.
Sequoia Spec Care Nursery
Department Description: The Lucile Packard Special Care Nursery is a six-bed, Level II neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) located within the Sequoia Hospital Birth Center and staffed by doctors and nurses from Packard Children’s neonatology team, which is ranked #5 in the nation by U.S.News. This Level II designation means Sequoia has the expertise and equipment to care for and stabilize high-risk newborns.
Intermediate Care Nursery
Department Description: The Intermediate Care Nursery (ICN) is a 34-bed level II Neonatal Intensive Care Nursery designed to provide care to recovering newborns and those infants requiring level II care. We care for infants requiring direct admission from the Delivery Room, the Emergency Department, other hospitals, re-admissions from home, post-surgery cases, as well as more chronic conditions or premature infants from our Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU). The care in the ICN is family centered and focusses on parent and family education. This education prepares families to easily care for their infant once discharged.
The ICN staffs are committed and dedicated professionals who strive to work as a team, advocating for the needs of the unit, patients and families with the goal of promoting excellent customer service and ensuring the best possible outcomes. The staff enjoy watching the babies grow, but also enjoy partnering with the parents as their knowledge and comfort level increases.
The ICN offers a full spectrum of services and consultation with Stanford Children's Hospital and Palo Alto Medical Foundation attending physicians. There is a multidisciplinary approach to patient care with an emphasis on a collaborative team approach including developmental specialists, physical therapists, occupational therapists, dieticians, lactation consultants, case manager’s, chaplaincy and social services. Every Tuesday, interdisciplinary rounds are held with representatives from each of these services, as well as nursing and management from the floor.
This paragraph summarizes the general nature, level and purpose of the job.
The Nurse Educator assists the Patient Care Managers in the provision of quality patient care by ensuring the clinical competence of nursing staff. The Nurse Educator collaborates with the Nursing Professional Development Specialist and Clinical Nurse Specialist to develop, deliver, and evaluate education and training for staff on the unit. Responsibilities include developing and teaching orientation, in services, and continuing education programs, utilizing current nursing research and focusing on the knowledge and skills required to care for patients in the assigned area, quality improvement issues, and accreditation/licensing requirements. The Nurse Educator consults with Managers, Clinical Nurse Specialist and Staff regarding patient care and staff performance issues, participates in setting standards for patient care, and maintains knowledge and skills in the clinical area to which assigned.
The essential functions listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification. They are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Employees must abide by all Joint Commission Requirements including but not limited to sensitivity to cultural diversity, patient care, patient rights and ethical treatment, safety and security of physical environments, emergency management, teamwork, respect for others, participation in ongoing education and training, communication and adherence to safety and quality programs, sustaining compliance with National Patient Safety Goals, and licensure and health screenings.
Must perform all duties and responsibilities in accordance with the hospital’s policies and procedures, including its Service Standards and its Code of Conduct.
- Gathers data from a variety of sources (such as needs assessments, quality reports, etc.) to determine learning needs of staff on the unit, and identifies desired outcomes of learning activities.
- Promotes quality patient care by serving as a resource to nurse managers to meet bedside staff education and training needs.
- Plans, prepares and maintains materials for use in educational programs for accuracy and relevance to the target audience.
- Develops, implements, and evaluates cost-effective educational programs for staff and/or patients and families in the assigned area or population.
- Teaches in both formal and informal settings using appropriate methodology and strategies. Incorporates principles of adult learning in the planning, implementation, and evaluation of education programs.
- Develops/coordinates core education to address patient population specific nursing care.
- Delivers competence based programs for nursing staff with a focus upon improvement of skills and retention of knowledge.
- Incorporates clinical research in education and training programs to provide a scientific foundation for professional nursing practice.
- Evaluates the effectiveness of educational programming.
- Ensures that educational programs are congruent with organizational missions, values, and goals.
- Identifies specific needs for, and means to, enhance nurse professional development.
- Maintains clinical competency in clinical specialty.
- Promotes a safe and healthy work environment.
- Serves as a role model to promote excellence and safety; role models professional nursing practice and promotes the concept of lifelong learning.
- Integrates ethical principles in all aspects of practice.
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities as well as possession of any required licenses or certifications is qualifying.
Education: Bachelor's degree in Nursing or work-related discipline/field from an accredited college or university required.
Employees hired into this position before January 15, 2017 will not be required to obtain a MSN (Master's degree in Nursing).
Incumbents hired into this position after January 15, 2017, must be enrolled in an accredited Masters of Science (MSN) in Nursing Education program or Master in Education (MED) and receive the Master's degree within five (5) years of job acceptance.
A Master's degree in Nursing and completion of a graduate nursing education certificate from an accredited institution within three (3) years of job acceptance.
Experience: Four (4) years of experience as a registered nurse in a clinical setting
License/Certification: Current CA RN license required.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
These are the observable and measurable attributes and skills required to perform successfully the essential functions of the job and are generally demonstrated through qualifying experience, education, or licensure/certification.
- Knowledge of the American Nurses Association Scope and Standards of Practice for Nursing Professional Development in teaching/learning activities.
- Knowledge of computer skills: MS Office (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to adjust communications to fit the needs and level of understanding of the receiver.
- Ability to function effectively as a team player.
- Ability to manage time and prioritize effectively.
- Ability to speak, read, write, and understand effectively at a level appropriate for the job.
Equal Opportunity Employer