Courier - Mail Room (1.0FTE, Days)
General/ Environmental Service
1.0 FTE, 8 Hour Day Shift
At Stanford Children’s Health, we know world-renowned care begins with world-class caring. That's why we combine advanced technologies and breakthrough discoveries with family-centered care. It's why we provide our caregivers with continuing education and state-of-the-art facilities, like the newly remodeled Lucile Packard Children's Hospital Stanford. And it's why we need caring, committed people on our team - like you. Join us on our mission to heal humanity, one child and family at a time.
Performs various courier functions in regards to pick up and delivery of mail, medical records, specimens, reports, linen, radiological films, equipment and supplies, pharmacy items and registration cards within Stanford University Medical Center (SUMC) and other designated off site locations and affiliates. Provides duplicating and graphic services (for LPCH only). Sorts mail for delivery. Drives department vehicle. Provides transfer of items between departments within the main Medical Center and designated affiliates. Performs additional related tasks as required.
* Assists with courier dispatch responsibilities when needed.
* May assist with movement of patients under direct supervision of clinical staff within Blake Wilbur.
* Assists with training of other Mail Courier personnel as required.
* Assists in customer education.
* Work schedules may vary, either 10 hours per day/40 hours per week or 8 hours per day/40 hours per week. Will have rotating days off though not necessarily consecutively. May be required to work weekends and holidays as needed.
* The above statements reflect the general office duties and responsibilities considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job as identified and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
* Maintains professional work environment; keeps work area clean and organized.
* Practices good time management. Maintains professional behavior and appearance.
* Promotes positive work environment by practicing good communications, customer service, diversity awareness and teamwork.
* Maintains professional and self-development by participating in educational opportunities that are available internally and externally. Attends departmental in-services.
* Understands the hospital and department mission statements and how they participate and contribute to them.
* Follows Stanford University Medical Center (SUMC) safety guidelines and follows.
* SUMC Infection Control policies and procedures.
* Responds to patient and non-patient emergencies according to SUMC policies and procedures and job requirements.
* Seeks resources for direction when necessary.
* Maintains neat and professional appearance. Follows the departmental dress code. Demonstrates acceptance of patients, families, visitors, clinicians and co-workers regardless of race, gender, disease process, and lifestyle, religious or cultural beliefs or treatment.
* Works in sensitive patient care areas. Maintains patient confidentiality.
Job Duties That Do Not Require Driving:
* Picks up and delivers patient specimens using appropriate containers to ensure the integrity of the specimen throughout the pick up and delivery functions.
* Picks up and delivers medical records within the Main Center to off site designated locations; records destinations using equipment provided.
* Sorts all mail picked up in departments into proper categories, i.e.: mail to be metered, ID mail to be delivered and stamped US mail to be posted. Places sorted mail in appropriate containers.
* Answers telephone inquiries concerning postage rates, pick up, delivery and collection schedules and distribution procedures.
* Applies proper postage to outgoing items using postage meter, scales and related equipment according to U. S. Postal Service regulations.
* Receives, performs gross and fine sort, distributes and delivers US mail, ID mail, express items, parcels, radiology films, specimens and supplies within the Main Center and designated locations outside of the Main Center.
* Records data for use in monthly statistics and /or charges. Records all certified, registered and express mail received; obtains proof of delivery for those items upon delivery to applicable department.
* Processes all duplication requests for LPCH copy center on a priority basis for LPCH departments.
* Coordinates maintenance of LPCH hospital owned copiers and updates maintenance records.
* Monitors LPCH copier supplies maintaining appropriate inventory and billing information.
* Manages information utilizing appropriate manual or electronic systems.
Job Duties That Involve and Require Driving:
* Drives departmental vehicle between Main Center and designated off site locations. Performs pick up and delivery functions.
* Monitors the use and maintenance of departmental vehicles. Checks fluid levels and performs daily safety check. Informs supervisor or lead of conditions requiring attention.
Education: High school graduate or equivalent
Experience: None required.
License/Certificate: California drivers license: Class C
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
* Must be at least eighteen years old, high school graduate or equivalent with good interpersonal skills, reading, problem solving, mathematical abilities.
* Must have good written and oral communication abilities in English.
* Must be able to work independent of direct supervision, prioritize work duties, maintain strict time schedules, respond appropriately to stat calls and report any problems to supervisor or lead immediately.
* For job assignments that require driving, must have a valid California driver’s license with no moving violations within the past 3 years.
* Must be able to appropriately transport patient specimens and to work safely with heavy loads.
* Must be detail oriented.
Preferred: One year recent experience in courier/delivery or closely related field.
Equal Opportunity Employer