Energy Engineer - Sustainability (1.0 FTE, Days)
General/ Environmental Service
1.0 FTE 8 Hour Day Shift
At Stanford Children’s Health, we know world-renowned care begins with world-class caring. That's why we combine advanced technologies and breakthrough discoveries with family-centered care. It's why we provide our caregivers with continuing education and state-of-the-art facilities, like the newly remodeled Lucile Packard Children's Hospital Stanford. And it's why we need caring, committed people on our team - like you. Join us on our mission to heal humanity, one child and family at a time.
This paragraph summarizes the general nature, level and purpose of the job.
This enterprise-wide position is responsible for contributing to and executing on the multi-year energy & water strategy. This position leads a multi-departmental working group that will focus on priorities such as: energy use/conservation goal setting, reduction/elimination of combustion sources, energy systems efficiency studies and projects, building and system modernization with a focus on reliability and efficiency, employee engagement campaigns with an energy conservation objective, power resiliency strategies, infrastructure upgrade planning and renewable energy evaluation and planning. This position will also facilitate the implementation of energy and water conservation strategies from the outcome of any energy efficiency studies or plans to achieve carbon neutrality including offset projects. The position will directly report to the Director of Facility Infrastructure and Safety and indirect to the Director of Sustainability.
The essential functions listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification. They are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Employees must abide by all Joint Commission Requirements including but not limited to sensitivity to cultural diversity, patient care, patient rights and ethical treatment, safety and security of physical environments, emergency management, teamwork, respect for others, participation in ongoing education and training, communication and adherence to safety and quality programs, sustaining compliance with National Patient Safety Goals, and licensure and health screenings.
Must perform all duties and responsibilities in accordance with the hospital’s policies and procedures, including its Service Standards and its Code of Conduct.
• Tracks, analyzes, and reports consumption and cost for hospital accounts, reconciles billing and usage irregularities, and reports the impact of implemented energy programs. Makes recommendations to increase efficiency ratings and support cost savings.
• Develops, implements, and maintains database systems for hydrologic, water supply, power operations, energy consumption and other data.
• Provides energy modeling for new construction and existing buildings. Provides energy trend data analysis for systems, buildings, and campuses.
• Supports various energy projects as needed. Participates in project design and implementation to improve energy efficiency. Consults construction teams on sustainable design and operational strategies.
• Selects and manages vendors and oversee all phases of work of consultants to ensure the timely achievement of project objectives and deliverables.
• Collaborates with vendors to ensure LPCHS and government regulation adherence.
• Provides planning/analysis for repairs, upgrades, or replacements of building systems to assist each building in becoming more energy efficient. Identifies and recommends opportunities to secure new cost competitive sources of renewable energy.
• Consults in regulatory processes and influences the design of new clean and renewable energy supply solutions offered by utilities and other suppliers.
• Conducts site visits and analyzes facilities, HVAC, refrigeration, and blueprints to audit existing energy situation.
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities as well as possession of any required licenses or certifications is qualifying.
Education: Bachelor's degree in engineering such as electrical, mechanical or related engineering field.
Experience: Three (3) years of progressively responsible and directly related work experience.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
These are the observable and measurable attributes and skills required to perform successfully the essential functions of the job and are generally demonstrated through qualifying experience, education, or licensure/certification.
• Knowledge of new technologies (in specific field) and maintain and stay abreast of updates and changes
• Knowledge of local, state and federal regulatory requirements related to areas of functional responsibility
• Knowledge of Building Management Systems
• Knowledge of Title 24 regulations
• Knowledge of MEP drawings
• Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing
• Ability to multitask and manage time efficiently
• Ability to create, evaluate, and award RFPs for engineering services
• Ability to use data and create energy modeling
• Ability to foster effective working relationships and build consensus
• Ability to conduct analysis and formulate conclusions.
• Ability to effectively prioritize work and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to plan, organize, prioritize, work independently, and meet deadlines
• Skilled in technical report development including summarizing project scope, calculation methodologies, key assumptions, and recommendations
• Project management skills, including all aspects of planning, scoping, budgeting, scheduling, deciding technical approach, ensuring technical quality, tracking, and ensuring stated expectations are met
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
The Physical Requirements and Working Conditions in which the job is typically performed are available from the Occupational Health Department. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Equal Opportunity Employer