Patient Transport & Lift Tech - LPCH Patient Transport (1.0 FTE, Days)
United Health Workers
1.0 FTE, 8 Hours, Day Shift
At Stanford Children’s Health, we know world-renowned care begins with world-class caring. That's why we combine advanced technologies and breakthrough discoveries with family-centered care. It's why we provide our caregivers with continuing education and state-of-the-art facilities, like the newly remodeled Lucile Packard Children's Hospital Stanford. And it's why we need caring, committed people on our team - like you. Join us on our mission to heal humanity, one child and family at a time.
This paragraph summarizes the general nature, level and purpose of the job.
The Patient Transport Technician is responsible for the transportation of patients between various departments within the Medical Center. Depending on the needs of the patient, the transport tech may transport or accompany the patient alone or assisting a transport Registered Nurse (RN). Transports must be carried out in a safe and efficient manner.
The essential functions listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification. They are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Employees must abide by all Joint Commission Requirements including but not limited to sensitivity to cultural diversity, patient care, patient rights and ethical treatment, safety and security of physical environments, emergency management, teamwork, respect for others, participation in ongoing education and training, communication and adherence to safety and quality programs, sustaining compliance with National Patient Safety Goals, and licensure and health screenings.
Must perform all duties and responsibilities in accordance with the Service Standards of the Hospital(s).
- Transports and practices Lift and Safe Patient Handling task on patients in a manner that complies with established LPCH competencies and guidelines. Adheres to the standards, policies and procedures of the Hospital, following safety guidelines for self, patients, visitors and other employees.
- Ensures equipment used for patient transports is cleaned, sanitized and bio-hazards are properly disposed according to established competencies and guidelines. Ensures equipment is stored in proper location when not in use, and that equipment is functioning properly.
- Assist with patient lifts and other patient handling maneuvers, as delegated by the supervisor.
- Utilize patient handling equipment, transfer devices and protective equipment in compliance with hospital policies and patient handling protocols while using proper lifting techniques and body mechanics.
- Utilize EPIC Rover and all appropriate functionality of the EPIC system while delivering transporting requests in a timely and efficient manner.
- Maintains adequate supply of wheelchairs for the Patient Transport queue.
- Organize workload by setting priorities & adjusting to hospital & staffing demands.
- Ensures application of safety code measures when operating wheelchairs and gurneys during the transportation of patients.
- Provides age appropriate comfort and safety measures to patients during transport.
- Provides assistance for a select group of patients during transport, throughout diagnostic procedures, and clinic procedures.
- Recognizes IV pump alarms and notifies the RN appropriately.
- Other duties as assigned.
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities as well as possession of any required licenses or certifications is qualifying.
Education: None required.
Experience: None required.
License/Certification: Current American Heart Association (AHA) Certification for Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
These are the observable and measurable attributes and skills required to perform successfully the essential functions of the job and are generally demonstrated through qualifying experience, education, or licensure/certification.
- Ability to be flexible in assignment and able to work different shifts if required.
- Ability to effectively use a computer and the Microsoft suite.
- Ability to demonstrate customer service skills in interactions with all patients, families and staff, including high volume and stressful situations.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Ability to maintain professional behavior and appearance.
- Ability to maneuver wheelchairs, gurneys, and other equipment as needed.
- Ability to provide appropriate care based on the needs of the individual taking into consideration age, culture, and developmental issues.
- Ability to provide care as needed and as described in department policies and procedures.
- Ability to communicate effectively in a clear, concise manner.
- Ability to speak, read, write, and understand English effectively at a level appropriate for the safe and effective performance of the job.
- Knowledge of facility layout, clinic locations and room numbering system for efficient transport.
- Meets the physical requirements of the job and is able to walk, stand and lift without endangering physical health or limiting work performance.
PHYSICAL DEMAND AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
Transport and Lift Team Tech:
The work involves considerable physical exertion such as frequent lifting, pushing & pulling of patients, pushing & pulling of equipment, bending and stooping, and walking.
Requires compliance with special safety precautions, e.g., working with risk of exposure to contagious disease, radiation or infection, working with emotionally disturbed patients.
Ability to lift up to 35 lbs.
The employee may be required to use protective clothing or gear.
The Physical Requirements and Working Conditions in which the job is typically performed are available from the Occupational Health Department. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Equal Opportunity Employer