Business Manager - Clinic-Administration (1.0 FTE, Days)
Finance & Accounting
1.0 FTE, 8 Hour Day Shift
At Stanford Children’s Health, we know world-renowned care begins with world-class caring. That's why we combine advanced technologies and breakthrough discoveries with family-centered care. It's why we provide our caregivers with continuing education and state-of-the-art facilities, like the newly remodeled Lucile Packard Children's Hospital Stanford. And it's why we need caring, committed people on our team - like you. Join us on our mission to heal humanity, one child and family at a time.
This paragraph summarizes the general nature, level and purpose of the job.
The Business Manager manages the day-to-day financial and business operational activities of the departments/service lines. The Business Manager partners closely with Financial Planning, Strategic Planning and Business Development, Decision Support Services, Purchasing and Managed Care Contracting. Responsibilities include working with the Service Line Director on budgeting, forecasting, accounting, long range planning, pricing, negotiation, generation of contracts with outside parties, and submission of patient charges for services. The Business Manager works closely with senior management to ensure adherence to budgets. The business manager is responsible for developing and implementing new business practices that will enhance financial performance. This position facilitates the development and implementation of strategic initiatives focused on improving the profitability and market share of the department. Other duties include personnel management, management of organizational systems and workflow, continuous quality improvement, and developing departmental goals and programs for assigned area of responsibility.
The essential functions listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification. They are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Employees must abide by all Joint Commission Requirements including but not limited to sensitivity to cultural diversity, patient care, patient rights and ethical treatment, safety and security of physical environments, emergency management, teamwork, respect for others, participation in ongoing education and training, communication and adherence to safety and quality programs, sustaining compliance with National Patient Safety Goals, and licensure and health screenings.
Must perform all duties and responsibilities in accordance with the Service Standards of the Hospital(s).
• Financial Management: Work closely with senior management to ensure adherence to budget. Collaborates to improve efficiency and
cost-effectiveness of operations. Oversees expenditures to ensure appropriate use of department funds. Works in collaboration with the Department/Service Line Director in development, specifications, requirements and financial models for contracted services with outside parties for products and services.
• Budget Development: Responsible for working with the Service Line Director to ensure the accurate development of operating and capital budgets of the department. Ensures that budgets are in compliance with standards and guidelines set by Financial Planning department. Develops and maintains databases on cost and profitability indicators (dashboards) to track and support program planning and assessment processes.
• Revenue Management: Responsible for overseeing hospital and professional fee patient billing and coding processes of the department. Oversight includes the development, implementation, evaluation, and redesign (if necessary) of processes to ensure comprehensiveness and compliance with applicable standards and regulations. Responsibilities include ensuring that financial controls are in place to minimize possibility of revenue loss. Collaborates closely with Patient Financial Services (PFS), Faculty Practice Organization(FPO), Patient Admitting Services (PAS), Health Information Management Services (HIMS), Information Technology (IT), Materials Management, Managed Care Contracting and Compliance to continuously improve outcomes.
• Business Management and Planning: In conjunction with Strategic Planning and Business Development, conducts market, financial, demographic and clinical utilization research from various software resources to support business development initiatives and strategic planning projects.
• Human Resources Management: Manages human resources effectively. Communicates staff and management staff performance expectations. Provides ongoing and annual performance feedback and evaluation.
• Collaborates with supervisory staff to develop, maintain and evaluate a comprehensive continuous quality improvement program that is in compliance with department as well as the hospital at large. Communicates effectively to maintain positive working relationships and achieve desired outcomes.
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities as well as possession of any required licenses or certifications is qualifying.
Education: Master’s degree in a work related field/discipline from an accredited college or university
Experience: Five (5) year’s experience of progressively responsible and directly related work experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
These are the observable and measurable attributes and skills required to perform successfully the essential functions of the job and are generally demonstrated through qualifying experience, education, or licensure/certification.
• Knowledge of financial systems, including operations, budgeting and analysis, statistics, and forecasting and modeling.
• Knowledge of principles and practices of organization, administration, fiscal and personnel management.
• Knowledge of financial and operational management information systems.
• Knowledge of local, state and federal regulatory requirement related to the functional area.
• Ability to develop and administer departmental budgets.
• Ability to develop, write, analyze and present business plans, proposals, contracts and financial analysis reports.
• Ability to use sophisticated conceptual, numerical, analytical and statistical skills to solve complex, unique financial problems.
• Ability to foster effective working relationships and build consensus.
• Ability to mediate and resolve complex problems and issues.
• Ability to develop long-range business plans and strategy.
• Ability to speak, read, write, and understand English effectively at a level appropriate for the safe and effective performance of the job.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
The Physical Requirements and Working Conditions in which the job is typically performed are available from the Occupational Health Department. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Equal Opportunity Employer